Trouble shooting EXPAND ALL

If the water coming from your taps is a dirty yellow-brown colour this is normally caused by iron or manganese particles. 

Iron and manganese are metals that occur naturally in water.  Sometimes there is a build-up in pipes and this is disturbed if there is a change of water pressure. 

We sometimes see iron/manganese discolouration in water as a result of a burst water main or use of a fire hydrant.  This is temporary and will clear within a few days.

Is it safe to drink?
While water discoloured by manganese/iron does not necessarily restrict its use for drinking, you are advised in the first instance to contact Council for further advice.

Will discoloured water stain my laundry?
Yes, discoloured water could stain your laundry.

If this happens make sure you keep your washing immersed in water.  Do not let your washing dry.

There are several commercial rust removers that are available from the supermarket, or call Council on 6686 4444 for a free cleaning kit that contains a powder called citric acid.

For more information:

Discoloured water coming out of your taps is usually temporary.  Put a bucket under the garden tap closest to your water meter for a couple of minutes to see if it clears.

If it doesn’t clear, call Council on 6686 1497.

Water meters may be moved in certain circumstances at the discretion of Council and at the expense of the applicant. Council will conduct a site anaylsis and if approved will provide you with a cost estimate to move the meter.

Download a Water Service Application form and fill in the details including attaching an installation plan.

If you notice a leaking or broken water meter, please contact Council on 6686 1497.

To determine if your water meter is not operating correctly, follow the water meter checking procedure

Repairs to water meters are Council's responsibility if they are on the Council side of the meter assembly - see Water Meter Diagram. However, if the damage is caused by the property owner, contractor, or individual, Council will invoice you for the cost to repair or replace the meter.

Firstly, view Council's current planned and unplanned water outages here.

If you have no water at home, or if your water pressure is low you should also:

  • check to see if we have left a letter in your letter box advising of maintenance which could affect your water supply
  • check to see if your neighbours are also experiencing a problem,  if their supply is normal this could indicate a plumbing problem on your property
  • try all your taps,  is water coming from some taps and not others?  this normally means there is a plumbing problem on your property
  • check to see if the tap at your water meter is turned on
  • contact Council on 1300 864 444 

Water that is a milky colour or cloudy is often caused by fine air bubbles.

This can be caused by a change of water pressure which results in air getting into our water mains or pipes.  These air bubbles make water coming from the tap look cloudy.

There is nothing to be alarmed about.  The air bubbles disappear quickly. 

Fill a glass with water and allow it to stand for a couple of minutes.  If the air bubbles are dissolving upwards you have air in the water supply. 

Is it safe to drink?
Bubbles in the water do not affect its quality. It is still safe to drink.

For more information:

If your water bill is higher than usual you may have a leak.  You should check around your property for a leak.  You are responsible for finding and paying for any water leaks on your property.


  • check to see if taps are dripping or water is around the base of your cistern (toilet)
  • check your water meter

You can check your own water loss by turning off all your taps and appliances and simply reading your water meter. If the numbers on your meter change, call a licensed plumber.

Click here to learn how to check your water meter  

  • to test for small water leaks read your water meter before going to bed and check it when you wake up, before you have turned any taps on.  If the meter has changed you have a water leak
  • to check the accuracy of your meter read the meter and then fill a container with a known quantity of water (eg 2 litres).  Check to see if this matches your water meter
  • if you find a leak call a licensed plumber to find and fix the problem.

Is there an odour around your house or garden, or can you smell something on council-controlled land?

Try to pinpoint where the smell is coming from. Is it from:

If the smell is coming from your property this could indicate a problem with your sewage/wastewater system such as a blocked pipe.  You should call a plumber to investigate.  Please note this is at your expense.

If the smell is coming from a stormwater drain or from a council facility please call us and register a complaint so we can investigate the cause.

  • 6686 4444 (business hours)
  • 6626 6954 (after hours / weekends)

During heavy rain stormwater drains sometimes overflow as they struggle to discharge large volumes of water.

If you notice flow down a stormwater drain continues to be slow after the rain has stopped or slowed, there may be a blockage. 

If this blockage is on your property it is responsibility of the owner to get the problem fixed.  Call us on 6686 1497 and we can advise you on what to do.

If the blockage is on council land please call us so we can arrange to get someone to fix it.

  • 6686 1497 (business hours)
  • 6626 6954 (after hours / weekends)

If water is not flowing down your sink or if your toilet is blocked there could be a blocked pipe. Determining whether this blockage is within your property boundary can be difficult and we suggest you call Council before a commercial plumber.

It's also helpful to check to see if your neighbours are experiencing the same problem.  If your property is the only one affected you may have a blocked pipe.

Council has Wastewater Operators on-call 24/7 who can investigate if the problem is within Council’s sewer lines and therefore our responsibility to fix. If Council staff determine the problem is not in the mains you will then need to contact a plumber but you will never be charged for Council’s investigation, even if it requires a site visit.

If the blockage is within your property the owner will be responsible for the plumbing bill.

The best way to avoid a blocked toilet is to remember the Three Ps. Only flush Pee, Poo and Paper down your toilet. Any other materials such as wet wipes, cotton buds, sanitary items and dental floss do not break down and could eventually block your pipes.

If you have a blockage contact Council's Water and Wastewater Team

Business Hours: 02 6686 1497

After hours/weekends: 02 6626 6954

Is there a loud banging noise coming from your pipes when you turn your tap on?  This is called a water hammer. 

A water hammer can be caused by:

  • air in the pipes
  • plumbing design
  • corrosion of pipes

In some cases a bad water hammer can cause your pipes to burst.

A licensed plumber will be able to advise you on how to fix a water hammer.

Please report the leak by calling Council:

  • 6686 4444 (business hours)
  • 6626 6954 (after hours / weekends)

Please report the leak by calling Council:

  • 6686 1497 (business hours)
  • 6626 6954 (after hours / weekends)

still not clear? ask crystal a question