Save Water at Home
Conserving water is good for the environment and will also save you money.
Where we use water in our homes:
EASY WAYS TO USE LESS WATER
- make sure you have a full load before turning on your dishwasher or washing machine
- wash fruit and vegies in the sink, or in a bowl of water, and then throw the water on the garden
- turn off the tap while you are cleaning your teeth
- connect your toilet, washing machine and outdoor tap to Council’s high quality recycled water.
CHECK FOR LEAKING PIPES
- near the hot water unit
- near the washing machine
- near the dishwasher
- under the floor
- above the ceiling
CHECK FOR LEAKING TAPS AND TOILETS
- a leaking tap can waste up to 2,000 litres of water every month
- to check to see if your toilet is leaking place a sheet of paper at the back of the bowl - if it remains dry between flushes you do not have a leak.
INSTALL WATER EFFICIENT PRODUCTS SUCH AS
- 3 star water efficient taps
- flow-regulating aerators in taps
- 3 star water efficient showerheads
When you need to replace your old appliances make sure you choose models that are water and energy efficient and watch your water bills go down.
how much water can you save?
| Shower 8 minutes
||normal showerhead uses 120 litres
|water efficient showerhead uses 70 litres
||single flush uses 12 litres
|dual flush uses 3-6 litres
| Washing Machine
||top loader uses 170 litres
|front loader uses 80 litres
Save Water in the Garden
CHOOSE THE RIGHT PLANTS AND SOIL
- water the base of your plants, not the leaves
- mulch the gardens to reduce moisture and water loss
- plant natives or drought tolerant species
- if you must water the garden the best times are early in the morning or late afternoon
- hosing can use up to 20 litres a minute.
CHECK YOUR WATER METER
Turn off all your taps and check your water meter. If the numbers are still turning you could have a leak. If you don’t know where your water meter is, call us on 6686 4444.
MAINTAIN YOUR POOL
- buy a cover for your pool to reduce evaporation
- keep the water level of your pool halfway up the skimmer.
MAINTAIN YOUR PROPERTY
- wash your car on the lawn
- use a broom, rake or outdoor blower to remove dust and leaves
- check your outdoor taps for leaks.
INSTALL A RAINWATER TANK OR CONNECT TO RECYCLED WATER
- rainwater tanks capture rainwater from your roof which can be used around your garden, or in the home for a toilet or washing machine
- recycled water has been treated to a high standard at a wastewater treatment plant to remove impurities and is able to be reused in the garden and for a toilet or washing machine.
Claim a rainwater tank rebate
Save Water at Work
UNDERSTAND YOUR WATER USE
- read meters daily to make sure you don’t have undetected leaks
- benchmark your water use to compare your results with other businesses
- check for leaks in taps, pipes, hoses, toilets and urinals.
INSTALL WATER EFFICIENT DEVICES
- 3 star flow restrictors on taps and showers will save water and reduce splashing
- replace single flush toilets with dual flush models.
IMPLEMENT WATER EFFICIENT PROCESSES
- mop floors instead of hosing
- ask staff to wash dishes in a sink instead of under a running tap
- could you install your own wastewater treatment system for long-term savings?